Course sections are created from active courses. Course sections can only be created by person’s who have permission. You can set proper permissions where schedulers can create course sections but only finance can activate them once course fees have been added.
In keeping with the course format, course sections are built using the following format TermCode-SubjectCode-CourseNumber-SectionNumber.
- Section – Enter the section number (i.e. 01, 02, 03).
- Term – Choose the term for which this section will be offered.
- Start and End Date – When you choose a term, the term start and end dates will auto-populate in this fields. This will help the person who is creating the course section so that the start and end dates fall between the start and end dates of the semester/term. You should not need to change the dates that are auto-populated
- Department – This will auto-populate the department based on the course. If the department is different from the course, the course creator should update the course first before creating a course section from it. Otherwise, when running reports, there may be discrepancies.
- Credits – This is pulled from the course. Variable credit courses are currently not supported.
- CEU’s – Continuing Education Units are currently not supported.
- Course Level – This is also pulled from the course. If the course level is different, it will need to be changed on the course first because the course sec code is built using the course number which also reflects the course level.
- Academic Level – Pulled from the course. If the level is different from what is shown, it should be changed on the course.
- Short Title – The short title is pulled from the course and appears on the transcript.
- Location – Choose the location for where this course will be offered. If all of your courses are offered on campus, then choose the Home location code if it was setup by your system administrator.
- Status – The only status available for creating course sections is pending, unless you have permission to set sections to active.
- Status Date – The date the course section was added.
- Approval Person – The person who is authorized to create course sections.
- Approval Date – The date that the course section was added to the system.
Creating a New Course Section
If a person has the proper permissions they can create course sections from a course. Navigate to the course screen (CRSE), search for the course and click the blue arrow next to the course you want to create a section of. See the screenshot below.